From the first quarter of 2010, The Florida University Training Center will be serving gvSIG courses, which to date have been taught as a complement to the Diploma of Specialist in Interior Tourism. The one lasting 20 hours for two weeks, is aimed at professionals, technicians and officials who wish to enter the GIS field using a tool that is free to use.
It seems to me a good initiative, which has the support of the College of Geographers of Valencia; of this GvSIG it must continue to promote among the training centers to seek not only its dissemination but also contribute to its sustainability. Reason why we do this promotion.
The theme is distributed as follows:
1. Introduction to free GIS: GVSIG - SEXTANTE, SAGA, GRASS, KOSMO, GEOLIVRE LINUX, SPRING, GMT (Generic Mapping Tools).
2. First steps in the GVSIG desktop:
- 2.1 Opening and displaying geographic information.
Vector and Raster formats.
- 2.2 Symbology. How to symbolize and label geographical entities in a correct and visual manner. Properties of layers. Query and Localization Tools.
- 2.3 Handling of alphanumeric information. Access to information related to graphical entities (tables), selections by criterion, unions and links between tables. Connection to Databases.
- 2.4 Vector Edition. Creation / editing of vector files and their associated information.
- 2.5 Geoprocessing Tools. Basic processes on layers of vectorial information (areas of influence, cut, intersection, union, fusion of polygons, etc.).
- 2.6 Making maps. Create maps. Insertion of elements and entities. Layout and preparation of templates for printing or exporting to pdf format
3 GVSIG and Spatial Data Infrastructures.
- 3.1 Access to free remote servers. Visualization and consultation of free spatial information (orthophotos, cadastre, environmental information, etc.) through the Internet through WMS, WFS and WCS protocol.
- 3.2 Location by place names. Search and location of geographical elements by its place name.
The cost is around 190 Euros, although there are discounts for those who meet some conditions. It is best to contact by phone 654.868.267 or by email gerson.beltran (at) gmail.com